The Master’s degree in Biology of Organisms and Ecology (Research Focus) is a 120-credit programme offering a unique blend of theoretical and practical courses essential to understanding many biological and environmental issues.
This specialised training covers a whole range of research fields including the management of natural areas, oceanography, anthropology and ornithology, among others. It focuses on a rigorous foundation in science both in the laboratory and in the field.
Through a flexible programme, this Master’s offers students the possibility to specialise in the field of their choice.
This Master’s degree is the best preparation for scientific research and grants access to the PhD programme (3rd cycle).
It may also lead to teaching, but in order to become a qualified teacher (AESS), this Master’s degree would require an additional 30 credits.
Do you already have a higher education qualification obtained in the French Community? Use our search tool to check whether your qualification grants you admission onto this Master’s degree and, if so, under what conditions.
Program and structure
The Master’s degree Biology of Organisms and Ecology is an advanced course based on a solid scientific foundation, put into practice through placements in companies and laboratories linked to the various courses.
The “Graduate Certificate in Laboratory Animal Science” is included in the Master’s programme.
Particular attention is paid to learning scientific communication in French and English through research seminars and in the “Scientific Workshop Training” course.
This Master’s offers students the opportunity to carry out their dissertation and placement in many areas of life sciences.
The Biology Department at UMONS develops world-class research in many fields such as marine biology, environmental microbiology, bee decline, etc.
The programme includes:
- A common curriculum in the first year of the programme with the Master’s in Biochemistry and Molecular and Cell Biology
- A range of specialised courses
- Placements at UMONS and elsewhere
- The “Graduate Certificate in Laboratory Animal Science”
- Learning scientific communication in French and English through research seminars and in the “Scientific Workshop Training” course
- A dissertation.
The programme description defines the expected learning outcomes at the end of the cycle (Bachelor's, Master's, etc.). The programme description defines the expected learning outcomes, i.e. what the student should know, understand and be able to achieve at the end of a learning activity, a teaching unit or a study cycle (Bachelor's, Master's, etc.). Learning outcomes are defined in terms of knowledge, expertise and soft skills.
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Use their acquired professional skills according to the objectives of the degree programme
- Apply their highly specialised and integrated knowledge in the field of biology, particularly in the field of biology of organisms and ecology, and demonstrate a broad range of skills, complementing those acquired at Bachelor's level
- Carry out major research and development work related to biological sciences, organismal biology and ecology
- Manage and conduct research, development and innovation work
- Master communication techniques
- Develop and implement a high degree of autonomy
- Apply scientific methodology
- Carry out animal testing.
For more information, consult the programme description for this study cycle below (in French).
On completion of the Master’s degree in Biology of Organisms and Ecology (Research Focus, the graduate has access to the PhD in Science programme. Our former students work in various expert fields, such as pharmaceutical, agri-food and biotechnology companies, as well as in academic research (universities, etc.) and in national and regional research centres in both the public and private sectors. This degree also opens the door to a career in management as well as in selling laboratory and biotechnology products. It is also possible to take an Advanced Master's degree, or to train as secondary school teacher (AESS).