Have you been selected for a mobility to the University of Mons?

Congratulations, and welcome to our university!


Academic Year 2021-2022
Application process

If you are getting ready for a mobility programme at UMONS, you must prepare and submit an application with the following:

  1. Student Application Form
  2. Learning Agreement for Studies ;The Learning agreement must be completed and signed by both you (the applicant) and the teacher/coordinator in charge of your mobility at your home institution (who must also approve your request).
    Vieuw our course catalogue.
  3. A copy of your identity card or passport;
  4. A copy of your European Health Insurance Card orproof of a private health insurance policy covering the period of your stay.
Deadlines for submitting your application

May 15, 2021 for students preparing a stay at UMONS:

  • for the first term (from 14th September 2021 to 31st January 2022)
  • for the whole year (from 14th september 2021 to 30st  June 2022)

November 30, 2021 for students preparing a stay at UMONS:

  • for the second term (from 1st February 2022 to 30th June 2022)

Any application submitted AFTER these deadlines will NOT be taken into account.

Application submission

Your application must be submitted by e-mail prior to the deadline.

Mrs Marine VECCHIATO  (+32 65 37 37 88) – marine.VECCHIATO@umons.ac.be –  incoming.relint@umons.ac.be

  • Faculty of Engineering (FPMs)
  • Faculty of Science (FS)
  • Faculty of Architecture and Urban Planning (FA+U)
  • Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy (FMP)
  • School of Human and Social Sciences (ESHS)

Mrs Eleonora FUSELLA  +32 65 37 38 02 – eleonora.FUSELLA@umons.ac.be

  • Warocqué School of Business and Economics (FWEG)
  • Faculty of Psychology and et Education (FPSE)

Mrs Sarah GRAINDORGE  (+32 65 37 37 42) – sarah.GRAINDORGE@umons.ac.be

  • Faculty of Translation and Interpretation – School of International Interpreters (FTI-EII)

Or by post to:

Université de Mons
Service des Relations Internationales – INCOMING
Place du Parc 22
7000 MONS

Your complete application must be sent to our International Office before your arrival at UMONS

If you wish to carry out a placement at UMONS, we kindly ask you first to get in touch with one of our UMONS teachers or with one of our faculty coordinators.

About clinical internships at FMP:

The curriculum of the UMONS Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy only covers the first three years of Bachelor's degree and is focused on basic sciences. Therefore, this Faculty does not meet the conditions for the Erasmus clinical internship. For this kind of internship, please contact one of the following universities: Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB), Université de Liège (ULg), Université Catholique de Louvain (UCL). The Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy can offer Biomedical Science Erasmus laboratory internships in the research departments of our institution.

Once you have been accepted for a placement by a teacher at UMONS, you are required to prepare and submit an application with the following:

  1. Traineeship Agreement (for the academic year 2021-2022)
    1. If you are coming in the framework of Erasmus+, please use this Traineeship Agreement Erasmus+.
    2. If you are not coming in the framework of Erasmus+, please use this Traineeship Agreement.
  2. A copy of your identity card or your passport
  3. A copy of your European Health Insurance Card or proof of a private health insurance policy covering the period of your stay.

These documents must be sent to the UMONS teacher that will supervise your placement at UMONS.

If you are a non-EU citizen and require a visa to enter Belgium, the International Relations Office will send you an acceptance letter, only after your Placement Agreement (or Learning Agreement for Traineeship) has been validated by all the parties involved.


Non-EU Trainees

If you are a non-EU citizen, you absolutely must make sure that you have a valid visa before arriving in Belgium.

Tourist visas are not accepted for stays of a duration longer than 90 days.

In that case, you will need to apply for a D-type visa before arriving in Belgium.

All the information concerning visa applications for Belgium is available on the website of the Foreigners Department of the FPS Home Affairs.

Types of visas available for non-EU citizens
Country of residence Duration of stay Statut Type of visa Fee Required documents
non-EU < 90 days NA C NA
non-EU > 90 days Regular student D 160 € Proof of registration
non-EU > 90 days Researcher D 215 € Proof of employment – Work Permit
non-EU > 90 days Trainee D 215 € Placement (traineeship) – agreement – Work permit
non-EU > 90 days Professor D 215 € Proof of employment – Work permit
non-EU > 90 days Guest D 215 € Hosting agreement – Work permit



Once you have arrived in Mons, you are expected to visit the International Relations Office (SRI) in order to finalise your registration file, which will enable you to receive your access codes and UMONS student card.

When you come to the SRI, please make sure to bring the following original documents:

  • your identity card or passport + a valid visa;
  • proof of a health insurance policy, valid for the duration of your stay.

All information concerning our halls of residence will only be made available once your stay at UMONS has been accepted.

The number of rooms available in our halls of residence is limited, so we may not be able to satisfy every request. If no rooms are available when your stay has been accepted, a list of private accommodation in town will be sent to you.

In Mons, there are two main types of accommodation for students:

  • A “kot”: Single room in a building where other students live. This type of accommodation usually comes with furnished, and sanitary and kitchen facilities are shared with other students.
  • A “studio”: This type of accommodation is larger than a “kot”. It sometimes comes furnished (but not always), and the sanitary and kitchen facitilies areusually private. The price is generally higher than that of a “kot”.

To confirm your accommodation reservation, you are often required to transfer a deposit prior to your arrival in Belgium. This deposit is usually equal to one-and-a-half month’s rent and will be transferred back to you at the end of your stay, if you leave your accommodation in a good condition.

Accepting an accommodation agreement is a formal engagement on your part. If you decide to “opt out” at any point before the end of the housing contract, you may be required to find a new occupant for your accommodation and/or to pay the amount of rent equal to what you would have paid if you had stayed there.

UMONS cannot be held liable for any litigation you have with the owners of private accommodation in town.

A few useful links:


Mons is a small city where you can easily get around on foot, and a fleet of cheap buses also take you to the city’s various points of interest.

With the Belgian railway service (SNCB), you can easily go from Mons to any city in Belgium, and you can reach Paris, Amsterdam or London in just a few hours (most often from Brussels).

With Charleroi Airport (Brussels South) close to Mons, you can also fly out to a many cities in Europe and North Africa.

A few useful links:


In 2015, Mons was designated “European Capital of Culture”. Mons is full of life and activities, combining architecture, history, culture and local folklore.

A few useful links:

Additional information can be found in the INCOMING Guide, which you can view/download at the top of this page.


Consult / Download the Guide_incoming_EN_2022-2023